National Freedom Toast Day

Today, if you’re like me, you’ve got a real abundance. The day after a cookout, the most prevalent remains tend to be buns.

And so, because a hefty portion of us will have done some Independence Day grilling, I hereby declare July 5 to be National French Freedom Toast Day. (Think of it as a cousin to National Leftovers Day, or as some people call it, the day after Thanksgiving.)

After all, what the heck else are you going to do with all those extra buns? Sure, you can have another cookout, or enjoy the buns with leftover proteins. But making French toast (even for dinner!) is another, lighter use for those baked goods.

To give full credit, I got the hamburger-bun-to-French-toast idea from The Bay Area’s Eco-Chef. And I had a pleasant experience doing the same with hot dog buns last year.

So I encourage you to give it a shot (or at least find another use for those buns). Do it for your budget, your pantry, or your country. Here’s to freedom and Freedom Toast!

This entry was posted in Household, Life to Leftovers. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Bellen
    Posted July 5, 2011 at 7:56 am | Permalink

They also make great Cinnamon Toast – I press them flat first. Don’t forget Garlic bread. And Bread Pudding. And they’re super for topping with poached eggs – they’ll soak up all that delicious egg yolk.

2. Posted July 5, 2011 at 9:50 am | Permalink

Thanks for those further great ideas, Bellen. Bread is like they’re a blank slate–there are so many options!

3. Sarah
    Posted July 9, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

My kids think PB&J on leftover buns is a treat. It’s simple and maybe not very imaginative, but it gets them eaten AND I get to be a hero.

4. Posted July 9, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Sarah–too funny! I just made my son a PB&J on a hot dog bun. I didn’t quite get to be a hero, but it was…appreciated. And, as you said, a nice way to use them up.

5. iret@mindspring.com
    Posted July 10, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

You can also make nice soft fresh breadcrumbs. You can either plan a fresh-bread-crumby meal for the next day, or I think you can freeze them for use later.

6. Posted June 4, 2013 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Oh my goodness! an amazing article dude. Thank you Nonetheless I am experiencing challenge with ur rss . Don抰 know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting an identical rss problem? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx