More Buns

Last year, I wrote about having extra hamburger buns and turning them into French toast. And prior to that, I got some great ideas on what to do with extra hot dog buns. Well, this past weekend I found myself in a similar situation, only this time with sub rolls.

I bought the rolls to house the trusty brat/sauerkraut combo. Yet, I had to buy a six-pack of them because this grocer doesn’t sell its store-baked buns individually. (Lack of control on quantity can be a real waste-creator.) With a few extra hanging around, I decided that these pillowy rolls would make for an interesting French toast.

Taking a cue from the Sunny Side Cafe, I sliced off the tops to allow the bread to absorb more egg. Rest assured, theseĀ  trimmings were promptly eaten.

I was pretty pleased with the results, which I served with sauteed bananas, walnuts and cream cheese–my impromptu take on stuffed French toast that restaurants love so. You know what I love? French toast (as if you couldn’t tell).

Here are the before and after shots:

This entry was posted in Personal and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted July 9, 2010 at 6:06 am | Permalink

Ooh, you make tasty-looking french toast!

2. Posted July 9, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Kristen. You know…pretty hard to screw up French toast.

3. Posted July 11, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

French toast are a great (and tasty)way to use up left-over bread, as is bread pudding and bread crumbs. But one could just as easily freeze bread for another time, just pop in a toaster oven straight out of the freezer, or leave to defrost on the kitchen counter. That way you avoid having to purchase bags of bread each time you crave a hot dog.

4. WilliamB
    Posted July 12, 2010 at 9:32 am | Permalink

I have a cookbook titled “Yesterday’s Bread,” all about what to do with leftover bread. I got it to go with Bernard Clayton’s 2 bread books because I knew I’d have leftovers to deal with. Hot dog buns are typically lightweight, flimsy almost, so they’re not suitable for some uses. But others… yum!

- Bread crumbs.
    - Panade to make amazing meatballs (per pound of ground meat, about 1oz bread soaked in 3-4 oz milk or cream).
    - Bread-thickened soup; Italian cuisine has a lot of these.
    - There’s a cute name for the dish of an egg fried inside a hole in a piece of bread: make hole in bread, put in pan with hot fat, crack egg into hole, flip bread and egg over.

Now I’m getting hungry…

5. Posted July 12, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Good call on the freezing, Dahlia. I hadn’t thought of the advantages of being able to select just the right amount of hot dug buns as needed from the freezer.

William–so you’re not going to tell us the name of the egg-in-the-bread concoction?!?

6. WilliamB
    Posted July 16, 2010 at 10:30 am | Permalink

I can’t tell you – I don’t remember it. :-<

7. Lois Hark
    Posted July 21, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

The name that my mother called it may not be politically correct, it was a one eyed Egyptian.