Brunchy Buns

A few days ago, I tweeted about having extra hamburger buns. It’s a common problem, as you can only really get packaged buns in packs of eight.

Now, you can avoid this problem by buying higher-end, buns individually or even baking your own. But I like those cheap-o, white bread burger buns. I’m really just looking for something to hold the burger together and stay out of the way, taste-wise. Hence, six buns remained after my wife and I had our burgers.

Anyway, thanks to my buddy the Eco-Chef, I knew what came next: French Toast buns. As I previously wrote, the Eco-Chef transforms yesterday’s burger buns into today’s French toast at The Sunny Side Cafe, adding orange juice to spruce it up.

For my spicing up, I went with the always pleasing banana/cinnamon/walnut combination. It really came together. Then again, you could probably dip your computer monitor in egg, grill it in butter and it’d taste half-way decent.

Unlike the Eco-Chef, who sacrifices a bit of the buns’ tops and bottoms to make them more bread-like, I just dipped away. I’m happy to report that the crust browned just fine. And while my garnishing game needs a little work, I now have a perfect morning-after solution for cookout remains.

Have a look:

This entry was posted in Household, Personal. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted May 27, 2009 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Whenever I have extra buns or bread that’s stale, I toast it, put it in the blender, and voila, you have breadcrumbs which can be used at a later date!

2. WilliamB
    Posted May 27, 2009 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

You could also make breadcrumbs, with a whole bun or the bit you cut off. Store in freezer.

You could toast or stale a bit, then use in bread salad or bread soup. Both are Italian dishes but I don’t have recipes on hand to offer you. Gazpacho uses bread also.

With enough herb butter/oil, you might be able to make crutons. Or the buns might be too soft.

Hamburger & hotdog rolls are too soft for bread pudding.

3. Posted May 28, 2009 at 6:46 am | Permalink

Jon,
    Recipes are all nice, but let’s not forget that you can still make a sandwich out of those buns.
    Peace and Love,
    Dan

4. Posted May 28, 2009 at 9:07 am | Permalink

Good point, Dan. We had veggie burgers the next night with the remaining ones. Egg salad works well, too.

5. Hydra
    Posted May 30, 2009 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

You can also brush them with butter and garlic and make some garlic bread. Or my favorite treat as a kid, open them up, put some pizza sauce on them, with your preferred toppings and cheese, broil them for mini pizzas.

6. Posted May 30, 2009 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

I toss bread ends in the freezer and make pain perdu when I have enough. Kids love it!

7. Posted June 1, 2009 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Good suggestions

8. Donna
    Posted June 1, 2009 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

we make bread pudding from the buns

9. Posted June 3, 2009 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

You shouldn’t be eating white buns or bread anyway. But if you must and you have them left over, just make bread crumbs, freeze them and throw them in your next meatloaf or meatballs or use as a breading for whatever you like to saute or bake.

10. Marie
    Posted June 3, 2009 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

When I buy buns, hamburger or hotdog, I freeze them and take out as many as I want. It never goes to waste.

11. Posted November 6, 2009 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Good stuff. Dont waste food!

12. Posted April 15, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

I feed birds or animals with my unused bread.

13. Posted January 12, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Yea! for French Toast Buns! This is what we use extra buns for too. Really tasty.

14. Posted January 29, 2012 at 5:24 am | Permalink

I tried to submit a comment earlier, although it has not shown up. I will remember this. 545624

One Trackback

1. [...] Do you suffer from the leftover burger bun conundrum? Apparently they make great French toast. [...]

CBA Winner Badge