Friday Buffet

You know that compostable SunChips bag? Yeah, the really loud, crinkly one. Well, about that loudness–Frito Lay is discontinuing the bag precisely because of that noise! A real shame.

— –

Nice to see the study on the energy wasted when food isn’t eaten is getting some press. And man is it getting some press!

— —

Pay by what your food waste weighs?! In Korea, RFID technology on bins will enable this waste denier. Where was this when I was writing that Gizmodo piece??

— —

As reported by Emily Prager in The NYT, her new neighbors in Shanghai are uber-frugal. With food and other goods:

I put out a big garbage bag stuffed with unnecessary junk while my neighbors had almost no garbage at all. It was clear they used no paper products and ate every bit of food.

— —

In this article about an Italian cruise ship, the staff say waste is usually 10-20 percent and blame most of it on large eyed passengers. But they also have some techniques on how to avoid it.

The Fantasia does its best to minimise it by closing sections of the buffet when passenger numbers drop below 500. But a lot more waste is down to pure greed. Because they’ve paid for it, passengers take more than they can actually eat.

— —

Finally, since it’s October, here’s a quick reminder (via video) on how not to be wasteful at pick-your-own apple orchards.

This entry was posted in Composting, Energy, Friday Buffet, International, Technology and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted October 8, 2010 at 7:42 am | Permalink

All-you-can-eat always seems like a bad idea. Even if excess food isn’t thrown out it is wasted in that people are eating much more than they need. Most folks need not worry where their next meal is coming from and overeating has had a profound negative impact on the health of western society. Its really hard not to overeat with restaurant portions too big, buffets, and cheap food everywhere.

Our wedding caterer offered us a 4 entree menu cheaper than a buffet because they said the cost of uneaten food in a buffet outweighed the extra cost of waitstaff. I always thought that was interesting.

2. Emily
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Jon, did you see Glee this week? I thought of you when the Grilled Cheesus was eaten at the end rather than thrown away. A small victory for your campaign against wasting food! :)

3. Posted October 8, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Christopher–True, it is really difficult not to overeat. That’s why we need to make leftover taking/saving really cool.

Also, I agree about buffets–they’re kind of the enemy. ‘Kind of,’ because we’re our own worst enemies when it comes to eating too much. But buffets, like massive portions, facilitate that overeating.

Emily–Oh Cheesus! I’m not a regular Glee watcher, but someone else was just talking about that scene. Maybe the word is spreading…

4. Posted October 9, 2010 at 5:50 am | Permalink

That reminds me…I need to dig up my compost and see what happened to my SunChips bag!

5. Posted October 9, 2010 at 7:57 am | Permalink

I have a love/hate relationship with buffets too. They’re easier to work with in a busy kitchen, but they can be wasteful.
    We really need to rework the North American idea of food portion: did you know that the ‘average’ portion and 2000-calorie diet prescribed by the Canadian and American Food Guides are, in fact, too big? Someone, I can’t remember who, actually calculated the recommended daily portions in the food pyramid, and they totalled over 2000 calories! AND, the average North American who sits at a desk all day-long, does not even need 2000 calories per day! No wonder there is an obesity epidemic.

6. Posted October 9, 2010 at 9:56 am | Permalink

A Sun Chips bag has been my compost bin for months and is far from decomposed. I t may take years!

7. Posted October 9, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Kristen and Everydayfrugal–Maybe you guys should dig up your SunChips bag and frame it. Could be a collector’s item now!

Dahlia–Indeed, our idea of a reasonable portion size has gotten out of hand. Any ideas on how we get that idea across to people?

8. Posted October 9, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

I’m disgusted by the Sun Chips bag situation. We are so spoiled. I cannot believe how the facebook page spread like wildfire. I am a fairly optimistic person and don’t like to give up, but when I read that people were up in arms because their chip bag was too loud my first thought was that we’re a country of morons and we get what we deserve. It’s harsh, but we’re talking about a snack food bag of all things. How lucky are we that we can sit around on facebook complaining that our snack bag is too noisy? I know the bag was loud, but it was a step in the right direction.

9. Posted October 12, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

wow. they’re REALLY discontinuing a chip bag over the noise it makes? i agree with Laura, how spoiled are we?!