Friday Buffet

First BOGOFL, then lagom. Am I going insane? Possibly, but these aren’t indications of that, just ideas from the world of food waste reduction.

To follow up on the Buy One Get One Free-Later idea, a poorly-worded survey found that 58 percent believe the ability to get the free item later would reduce supermarket waste. But…the idea is aimed at reducing household waste.

Also, here’s one objection to the idea, on the grounds that the retailer will profit when shoppers lose their vouchers or don’t use them. Even though I’m sure that will happen some, I still like the scheme if you can choose whether to get the item now or later. And I haven’t been able to get an answer on that.

image courtesy of Fred Zing!— —

You cannot be serious! I know some of you think I should chill out on the food fight hating, but does anyone think a flinging aid needs to exist? (HT to the Non-Consumer Advocate, who I’m sure will not be buying one.)

— —

Glad to hear there has been an “overwhelmingly positive response” to trayless dining at Princeton. Here’s sophomore Erik Zyman on the change:

“It may be slightly less convenient, but I think we can all take a hit for the environment.”

— —

You tell ‘em, Tristram!

— —

This “service” from a UK waste hauler is so messed up:

We are also able to offer a unique service for the secure destruction of retail packed food and drink products, with a certificate of destruction to ensure the finite destruction of products and complete peace of mind of our customers.

Because I know I won’t rest easy until my company’s food has been destroyed!

This entry was posted in College, Friday Buffet, International, Supermarket, Trayless, Waste Stream. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. WilliamB
    Posted October 30, 2009 at 9:23 am | Permalink

About that destruction service: I don’t suppose they destroy the food by composting it…?

2. Posted October 30, 2009 at 10:37 am | Permalink

The BOGOFL scheme sounds like a good idea and is definitely an improvement, at least the consumer won’t be chucking out unnecessary waste. I’m slightly worried it will encourage the supermarket to continue with (or even step-up) the ‘overabundance’ approach to keeping shelves stacked rather than letting shelves empty now and again, before restocking.

A certificate of destruction sounds terrifying! There is still way too much profit to be made out of waste in the UK, and certificates or not, much of it is irresponsibly and, quite often, illegally desposed of.

3. Posted October 30, 2009 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

William, I was hoping that was the case, but it seems that they’re an incineration company. They say they’re waste-to-energy, but burning stuff is not the most efficient or enlightened way of doing things.

We’ll have to keep our eyes peeled to see how the BOGOFL thing plays out, Goo. It looks like you’re in the UK. If you’re ever near a Tesco, let us know how things are working in practice. Especially whether or not the ‘later’ part is mandatory.

4. Posted October 31, 2009 at 12:05 am | Permalink

Now you’ve shamed me, as I actually bought four of the flinging spoons.

: (

Katy

5. Posted October 31, 2009 at 1:10 am | Permalink

Wait, are you kidding? This is like finding out Big Papi (David Ortiz) used steroids…
    Oh no!!
    (It’s OK, we still love you, Katy. And thanks for the link)

6. Posted October 31, 2009 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Jonathan,

Your flinging spoon is on its way. Make sure to hover over your mailbox for it, I would highly recommend canceling any plans in the next few days just in case they need a signature.

It’s that good.

-Katy

P.S. The flinging spoon is 1 cent, the eye protection is $99.99.

7. Posted October 31, 2009 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

I refuse to sign!!
    (but remain 1% curious)

8. Posted November 2, 2009 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

I am in the UK Jonathan, and recently did a BOGOF check at a local Tesco store.

All the items were, withe the exeption of a box of tea bags, non-essential and non frozen. Sugar drinks, crisps, sweets and cookies headed the lists so the problem may not be with waste but with waist!