Game For Some Fun?

Here’s a first: a food waste video game.

In Gordon Brown and the Kingdom of the Wasters, you get to control the British Prime Minister as he tries to recover good food like bananas and cupcakes while avoiding rotten items like fish bones.

screenshot courtesy of T-EnterpriseApparently, dastardly opposition leader David Cameron is the one throwing away the good food. The goal is to catch Cameron and stop him from giving another press conference. Zelda, it’s not.

The game’s creators hoped it would provide some subtle ribbing. Sadia Chishti, managing director of the firm that created the online amusement, had this to say:

The game highlights the problem in a light hearted manner following Gordon Brown’s political fight to tackle food waste in Britain.

Still, I have to feel for Gordon Brown. While he spread the message in a politically naive, way, and it was perceived as lecturing, it’s a bit sad that a common sense idea like telling people not to waste food makes Brown a target for teasing.

Fun game, though! My top score is 168–anyone beat that?

This entry was posted in International. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Emily
    Posted July 17, 2008 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

I played twice and got 140 the second time. Looks like you’re pretty good at the game. I wish it were just slightly more thought-provoking … but at least people are thinking about food waste.

2. Jonathan
    Posted July 17, 2008 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Thought-provoking it ain’t…but it’s a good time-waster! And looking at the top scores, it’s clear that I’m definitely not good at the game.

3. Laura
    Posted July 17, 2008 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

I got a score of 216. Hopefully the site will show up in Temps Perdu, a segment on flash internet games on the French cable channel NoLife.

4. Posted July 18, 2008 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Great, can they do one with GB and the ‘Clean Air Act’?

5. Jonathan
    Posted July 18, 2008 at 9:07 am | Permalink

I’m guessing the object of that game would be see how many EPA posts W could hand out to industry leaders…

6. Posted July 23, 2008 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Hi Jonathan,

How dare you make fun of my Prime Minister. Are you a closet Tory? Haha!
    Politicians, Councillors, Superstore potentates are way behind the Zero Waste enthusiasts here in the UK. I am doing a 156 week binbag challenge. 15 weeks and going strong.
    A recent council strike and the possibility of no bin collections reared its ugly head. However, as I only put out a bag every 3 years, it wont affect me. Yet another benefit of Zero Waste.
    Landfill is a terrible thing. St.Andrews, the home of golf, has one on the brink of contaminating beaches, rivers and golf interests, due to coastal erosion. Are there any horror stories in your backyard?

Regards,