First Impression: Impressed

This summer, I’m living in Boulder, Colorado at my wife’s behest. Well, her job’s behest.

I’m excited about the opportunity for two reasons:

1. Mountains

2. Composting

While I’ve been composting for more than six years, this marks the first time I’ll have lived somewhere with municipal composting. As in–roll a bin of food waste to the curb every week and the city takes it to a composting facility.

The city and county of Boulder have composting service built into their regular trash service. The City even has a waste reduction master plan and has declared itself a zero waste community.

I arrived on Friday, and realized I was in a different place the following day at the ridiculously vibrant farmers’ market. Composting (and recycling) stations abounded. (No word yet on whether a food recovery group rescuing food from the market a la Farmer Foodshare.)

Later this week, I will address the County’s Resource Conservation Advisory Board. I’m excited to talk (food) trash with such an enlightened bunch. Looking further ahead, this blog will reflect upon this summer’s experience.

This entry was posted in Composting, Personal and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted May 23, 2011 at 8:10 am | Permalink

I look forward to reading about your adventures in Boulder.

Say hello “Mork and Mindy” for me.

Nanu-Nanu,

Katy

2. Posted May 23, 2011 at 9:21 am | Permalink

Thanks, Katy. No signs of Mork or Mindy yet. I saw a street performer doing the statue routine dressed as a cowboy–you’d think he’d be honoring Robin Williams’ early days with the rainbow suspenders…

3. Posted May 23, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Oh, what a neat opportunity.

And curbside composting would be so fabulous for non-gardeners or city-dwellers. I really hope the idea catches on.

4. Posted May 24, 2011 at 9:41 am | Permalink

That’s amazing that they provide a composting service there! What a great idea! I wonder if there are other areas doing the same thing… I’m thinking about doing a “worm bin” for my kitchen scraps since I don’t have a place for an outdoor compost at this point. I may have to do some research on local community composting options. Thanks for the info!

5. Robin
    Posted May 25, 2011 at 9:17 am | Permalink

Hey Jon,
    Curbside composting sounds awesome! I’ve been backyard composting, but haven’t been able to use any of it. I think my balance is off because it just turns to sludge.

I thought of you because I’m going to work at Ithaca College where they have a trayless dining hall and composting. I went to the local coffee shop and it has bins for recycling, compost and trash. The trash bin said “use ONLY if your trash cannot go into either recycling or composting bins” and it was nearly empty!

Good luck in Boulder! It sounds like a great place.

6. Posted May 25, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

FG–(From my optimistic side) It can’t be too too long before curbside composting becomes the next curbside recycling.

Christie–Toronto, San Francisco and Seattle are major cities with curbside composting. Portland is getting into it now, and there are others…Good luck with the worm bin–go for it!

Robin–Nice to hear from ya. Sounds like you need more “browns”–leaves, paper, etc. in your compost. Good for Ithaca. Gorges.