The Trayless Tab

As you may have noticed, there’s a new tab on the site: Trayless.

photo by cdozo (via Flickr)I consider the page my repository for keeping track of which colleges and universities are shunning trays to avoid food waste. Please let me know if I’ve missed your school–it’s very much a work in progress.

Also, the traylessness doesn’t have to be in a college setting. I’d liove to hear about any kind of all-you-can eat cafeteria foregoing trays. Yet the next off-campus one I hear about will be the first.

In more recent news: Ohio University became the latest to join the fray (and earn Trayless Tab immortality) when it went without trays recently. In so doing, the Bobcats were able to reduce their food waste by 28 percent.

This entry was posted in College, Trayless. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Faye
    Posted February 20, 2008 at 12:41 am | Permalink

Hi, I love your website! Tulane University in New Orleans, LA has gone trayless this semester and is making more effort at sustainability!

2. Jonathan
    Posted February 20, 2008 at 10:01 am | Permalink

Thanks, Faye, I’ll put Tulane on the list. Glad to hear the Green Wave has caught the Trayless wave.

How many days a week are we talking about? Did they start in January?

I have to say, I wish they served a Friday night free breakfast from 1 a.m. to 2:30 a.m. when I was in school…Or had sax-playing shrimp.

3. Posted February 20, 2008 at 10:16 am | Permalink

I bet anything students are also eating less. It would be interesting to see if fewer freshmen gain the ‘freshman fifteen’ once trays have been eliminated.

4. kim
    Posted February 26, 2008 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

hey jonny boy,

just for this week at emerson college they’re trying out trayless dining. I don’t know how much water it’s saving, and it seems to be saving very little food because they’re still putting out the same amounts in the dining hall. I guess mostly it’s just pissing everybody off and causing a lot of people to drop food due to poor food carrying equilibrium, i guess. but it is saving water, is what they tell us.

5. Jonathan
    Posted February 26, 2008 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

Aha, a report from my embedded college cousin! Thanks, Kim.

But what I’m wondering is whether or not you find yourself taking less food and eating more of what you take. I would guess that if they made the trayless thing permanent, they’d adjust the amount of food served.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how annoying is it to not have a tray?

6. kim
    Posted February 27, 2008 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

well, i haven’t dropped anything yet. so it’s not that annoying for me. and it does make me get up multiple times because i need to make two trips if i wish to imbibe any liquids with my meal. i guess it’s not that annoying directly for me per se, more annoying because everybody around me complains about it. people are stupid.

so annoyance of not having a tray itself- about a 4.

annoyance of having to hear people complain- about a 7.

You’re probably right about adjusting the amount of food. good point jonny boy.