About that sentence next to my photo…

I’ve been doing this site for the last two years. And the entire time the home page has read, “Jonathan Bloom is writing a book on wasted food in America.” While that has been true in one sense, it is awesomely correct today with the announcement of my book deal in Publisher’s Weekly.

Obviously, I’m thrilled. And now the real work begins!

I suppose that news begs the question, ‘What have you been doing for the last two years?’ Well, lots of things:

• Research! Learning all I can about the issue of food waste
  • Visiting food recovery groups, food pantries, etc.
  • Building my “platform” so people might care what I have to say
  • Blogging daily (ahem–weekdays, that is)
  • Showering daily (ahem–weekdays, that is)
  • Doing interviews and writing guest posts and articles to gain exposure
  • photographing food waste
  • Growing multiple beards
  • Trying to get an agent
  • Crafting a book proposal with said agent (Thanks, Lynn!)
  • Working full-time at a renewable energy company
  • Composting, meal planning, using Tupperware like it’s going out of style
  • Making a naughty & nice list of who has/hasn’t wasted food
  • Trying to be a good husband, son, brother, friend, dog owner, etc.
  • Preparing to be a dad

With that last bullet point looming (in a good way), it’s on to the actual writing. I still plan to update the blog (week)daily, but cut me a little slack if I miss a day or two.

Anyway, thanks for reading, commenting and helping. And for making the economy tank so people started paying attention to food waste. Kudos, boys.

This entry was posted in Personal. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted December 15, 2008 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Congratulations! It is wonderful to realize that you’ve devoted so much time to this topic/cause in the hopes that you would one day get enough attention to raise awareness on a grand scale. Good luck! (With the book and the baby!) :)

2. Posted December 16, 2008 at 7:49 am | Permalink

Jon,
    Yea, and you know we’re all rooting for you here. For my sake, I know I would love to see the progress of this rumored “book” along the way, and am down with continuing to read the food waste press you have diligently kept up with all this time.

Apropos of nothing: whenever I go into a long monologue about wasted food and freeganism, inevitably someone will say to me, “Yea, but that’s not a sustainable way to live; what if people stop wasting all of that stuff? What do you do then?” and I usually respond, “I hope that the day comes when people stop wasting stuff, and the worst consequence is that I’m out of a meal ticket.”
    Peace and Love,
    Dan

3. Posted December 16, 2008 at 8:10 am | Permalink

Congrats Jon. See you tomorrow.

4. Molly
    Posted December 16, 2008 at 8:29 am | Permalink

Hey, you’re having a baby? I mean, a book deal is cool and all, but definitely congrats on preparing to be a dad!!

5. Posted December 16, 2008 at 10:49 am | Permalink

Oh, that’s awesome! Congratulations!

6. dee dee
    Posted December 16, 2008 at 10:57 am | Permalink

A book deal…how awesome! Congratulations! And even more importantly, how wonderful that you’re going to be a father. Doing both at once (baby & book, I mean) is going to be the ultimate challenge. Invest in a good coffee maker.

7. Posted December 16, 2008 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Thanks guys. I have a plan on how to navigate both challenges at once. And yes, coffee is involved. But you know what they say about the best laid plans…

We’ll see!

8. Matt
    Posted December 16, 2008 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Good to see news of the book deal in print. Congrats, JB! I especially love the mention of how Da Capo’s editor “bested three other bidders in an auction.” That just sounds cool.

More importantly, though, congratulations on earning a platform to speak about an issue to which you are so clearly committed. We should all be so dedicated.

9. Posted December 17, 2008 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Cool.

10. kari
    Posted December 19, 2008 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

I’ve been wanting to comment on this issue and perhaps you have already spoken to it. The Food Network is one of my favorite channels. I love to watch and learn from so many great cooks/chefs. But…as I have become more aware of food waste and more knowledgeable about food in general, I notice an awful lot of waste on these shows. Very rarely do they speak of keeping those bread crusts or carrot ends. Plus what happens to all that food? On screen and behind the scenes. Maybe the topic of food television would be a good passage for your book.