Gone to Ground

I’m working like crazy to make my book deadline, but I’d hate to leave you in a lurch on Presidents’ Day. So, a few quick links:

While doing some final research on the apple industry, I came across this article on apples gone to ground. An oldie but goodie, er, sort of.

While we’re talking about apples…this may just interest me, but here’s the breakdown on apple grades and sizing. Is it just me or are apples at the store much larger these days? They’re way too big for my liking. I swear that 72s or 64s must be the average size now. (You can get in on the lingo via the link)

Finally, Napa Valley food rescue wants to hear from you (provided you live there and have extra fruit). Just don’t take any oranges without asking first.

This entry was posted in Farm, Tree Gleaning. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted February 15, 2010 at 9:56 am | Permalink

I’m with you about the size of apples, Jonathan. Most of them are way to big. We try to buy our apples from local orchards in season – the selection is greater and they aren’t typically so oversized. To avoid apple waste – which seems to happen mostly when an apple gets cut up, turns brown and loses its appeal – is to sprinkle the cut part with cinnamin. It doesn’t prevent it turning brown, but no one can see it! Good luck with your deadline. I hope the end of the book writing process won’t mean the end of the blog – you do such a great job.

2. Posted February 15, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

Yes I agree about apples. They’re huge now. Too big. I look for the little ones since I know I can eat those in one sitting.

3. Posted February 16, 2010 at 11:47 am | Permalink

apples are certainly getting larger, and they tend to look more waxy as well for some reason?

Elodie
    Slim Girl Diary

4. Posted February 23, 2010 at 10:46 am | Permalink

the apples are def. larger, yes, but also less flavorful. a visual compromise has been made and taste drew the short straw.
    about the waxy look: i’ve read a lot about wax (of waxy-like sprays) being added onto fruits (not just apples) to try to heighten their “consumer appeal.” fruit in general is in danger over loosing many of the unique and flavorful characteristics from over genetic-engineering.
    if you’re interested – and have the time, of course – i would suggest the book “the fruit hunters: a story of nature, adventure, commerce, and obsession” by adam leith gollner. not only does it cover these fruit questions (and many others, such as food waste, i.e. unfavorable, oddly shaped fruits that have been rejected by commercial supermarkets), but it also gives a great look into a lot of the fruits that don’t make it onto our shelves or have sadly been banned.

jonathon, a question about your book: you may have mentioned this in a previous post and i may have missed the answer, but when do you expect your book to be out? is there a way to pre-order it yet?

5. Posted February 23, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

dee dee–the blog isn’t ending. It may change a bit, and hopefully I’ll get a redesign at some point, but it’ll still be here. Cinnamon apples–sounds like a winning idea. Sounds like more of a delicious distraction from the browning than prevention. Lemon juice works well there–in halting the browning process.

I find that the smaller ones are sold in 3 pound bags. I’ve been enjoying the Galas recently, as they have a decent amount of flavor. Of course, not everyone wants to be that many at once…

sm–I must confess I started The Fruit Hunters, but got sidetracked. I’ll get back to it–thanks for the suggestion.

On the book release date, it will be out in September (at least that’s the plan now). I’m not sure how far in advance they do pre-orders, but it’s not available yet. I appreciate your interest!

6. Posted March 10, 2010 at 11:50 am | Permalink

yeah they are a bit bigger from what they used to be previously.

7. Posted March 12, 2010 at 12:49 am | Permalink

Lately I’ve been seeing a new small apple marketed in grocery stores as “lunch box apples”. It’s as if they have to convince the public, now used to apples the size of our heads, that small apples are retro and cool.

8. Posted March 12, 2010 at 1:18 am | Permalink

Thanks for the head’s up, Julie. I’ll have to look out for the Lunch Box Apples label. That’s pretty nutty. In addition to being retro and cool, smaller apples usually taste better!