New Year, New Resolutions

Believe it or not, another year is finished (again?). As we celebrate 2009′s beginning, let’s resolve to reduce food waste.

Because I doubt I can communicate my thoughts any better, here’s an op-ed I wrote in 2006.

In addition to recycling ideas from two years ago (recycle, reduce, reuse, right?!), I’m making a few new resolutions for my new compost bin (plastic made to look like terra cotta)2009:

• Compost better. I’ve long composted, but not all that well. Up until now, I’ve been content to keep my food waste out of the trash. Now that I have one of these Terra composters, I’d like to actually make nutrient-dense soil because I plan to…
  • Garden. My new house has a nice backyard with raised beds. It’s time to flex those horticultural muscles.
  • Be a good parent and avoid waste without losing my mind. Wish me luck and please feel free to offer tips (there are sure to be more posts on the topic in 2009). I’m guessing it will involve lots of common sense, some portion control and eating some of the boy’s leftovers.

May your new year be sweet and your resolution strong!

This entry was posted in Composting, Garden, Household, Personal. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted January 2, 2009 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

Raised beds? Oh, now I’m jealous! (Okay, gorgeous composter, too.) Looking forward to reading how you deal with the new “dilemmas” gardening introduces with regard to food waste.

What to do with all that basil?

Happy New Year,

DSF
    Winter WAS cancelled, right?

2. Posted January 5, 2009 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

The composter might look slightly less pretty after I start using it…but thanks, DSF.

Extra basil = pesto, right?

3. Posted January 5, 2009 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

In keeping with the whole new parenthood and composting relationship… have you looked into gdiapers? http://www.gdiapers.com. Best of luck with your resolutions this year!

4. Posted January 5, 2009 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Aha! A nice hybrid of those two resolutions. I just checked out the gDiapers site and it looks pretty reasonable. Not too much more expensive than disposables, either. We’re still trying to figure that stuff out, but thanks for the tip.

5. Catherine
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

Hello there,

I was just looking through the blog and saw that someone was sending you some kind of package regarding food recovery, etc.to give out to restaurants?

I wonder if it would be possible to get a copy sent over to me?

I’d love to take a look!
    Thanks,
    Cat

6. Posted January 28, 2009 at 1:42 am | Permalink

Cat, is this what you’re talking about?
    Not sure if it is, but it’s useful.

7. William
    Posted March 19, 2009 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Parenting and composting, that’s a tough one. Just like mixing parenting with anything else.

We had trouble with this for a while. Eventually I focused on the *process* – what was making it hard for me to take the scrap bowl to the yard every couple of days? The surprising answer was unlocking the back door; the solution was moving the key to a chest level location. This was farther from the door but easier than leaning down to get the darn thing.

When your boy starts eating real food, feed him what you eat. This is likely healthier than what’s on the kid’s menu, encourages him to eat real food, makes for less waste, and you’ll be much happier eating his leftovers. Also freeze very small portions (well labeled as to content and date) so you can serve, say, a one ounce chunk of chicken without having to waste the rest. Buy small sizes – Bagel Bites instead of whole pizzas, individually wrapped string cheeses and baby bells. The cost per serving may be higher (or not, the devil’s in the details) but there’s less wasted food.

Are you familiar with the blog Tigers And Strawberries? http://www.tigersandstrawberries.com. The blogger, Barbara Fisher, is an Appalachian farm girl and chef now living in Ohio. It’s a cooking blog but almost every week she posts about her now 2 year old. Some of those posts are about her kid and food. One of her big things is to stop wasting food, dammit.

Finally, cut yourself a break. I gather you’re new to parenting. Give yourself a chance to get a handle on it. It’s a big job and most of us get very little training. So many things (homemade meals, a tidy house, shaving) fall by the wayside as one learns how to parent. You’ll see that as you get more familiar with parenting you’ll be able to resume many of your usual activities.